Get in touch with us for your Immigration Issues

Our experienced settlement counselors are there to help you…

12 + 10 =

LR Consultants Canada Inc.

Address: 33 Tawn Crescent, Ajax ON, L1Z 1J1, CANADA
M-F: 9:30 am – 6:30 pm


Frequently Asked Questions

What is permanent residence in Canada?

Obtaining “permanent residence” or “permanent resident status” in Canada is also known as “immigrating to Canada” or becoming a “landed immigrant.” The successful end result of the Immigration process is the issuance of an “immigrant visa” or “confirmation of permanent residence document”. Persons to whom an immigrant visa/confirmation of permanent residence document has been issued must present themselves to an Immigration officer at one of Canada’s official ports of entry in order to become landed immigrants.

Permanent residency or “permanent resident status” in Canada is also known as “immigrating to Canada” or becoming a “landed immigrant,” but it’s not the same thing. The “immigrant visa” or “confirmation of permanent residency document” is what happens at the end of the process when it goes well. People who have been given an immigrant visa or proof of permanent residency must show up at one of Canada’s official ports of entry to become landed immigrants.

How can I become a permanent resident of Canada?

To be eligible to immigrate to Canada, one must meet the requirements of one of the many catergories of Canadian Immigration:

Federal Skilled Worker Class

Federal Skilled Trades Class

Canadian Experience Class

Business Class

Family Class

and apply for Permanent Residence in Canada through a designated Case Processing Centre/Centralized Intake Office.

What benefits do I have if I am a permanent resident of Canada?

Canadian permanent residents/landed immigrants and citizens enjoy all of the same rights and privileges (i.e. free health care, free elementary and secondary education, etc.) with three (3) exceptions:

Permanent residents cannot vote;

Permanent residents cannot hold a Canadian passport;


Permanent residents can be deported for certain criminal convictions.

Once I am a permanent resident of Canada, do I have to stay in Canada?

Within any five (5) year period, a permanent resident must be:

Physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (two (2) years) in that five (5) year period


Outside of Canada, accompanying a Canadian citizen, who is his or her spouse or common-law partner or a child accompanying a parent


Outside of Canada, employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business


An accompanying spouse, common-law partner or child of a permanent resident, who is outside Canada and is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business.

How can I become a citizen of Canada?

After having resided in Canada for a total of 1095 days within a consecutive five year period of time as a permanent resident of Canada, one is eligible to apply for Citizenship. If you believe you are eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship and wish our assistance, please submit your inquiry online at-

Submit your Query

How can I find a job in Canada?

We recommend that you come to Canada on an initial exploratory visit. If you have already been to Canada or coming to Canada on a visit is not an option for you – you may wish to browse through the following job-search websites:

HRSDC Job Bank – – –

How can I apply for a temporary work permit?

Foreign nationals who wish to apply and obtain a temporary work permit for Canada must first secure a job offer from a Canadian employer. Once a job offer has been secured, the Canadian employer must apply to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada for approval.

Upon approval the foreign national may submit his/her application for a work permit at the local visa office responsible for their country of citizenship.

Will I need a medical exam?

You may need to undergo a medical examination if you wish to work in facilities where it is important to protect public health such as; health services, childcare, primary or secondary education; or you are coming to work in an agricultural occupation, or you are seeking to enter Canada to work for a period greater than six (6) months, and you have lived in a designated country or territory for six (6) consecutive months during the one-year period immediately preceding the date of your seeking entry.

If a medical examination is required, you will be informed by an immigration officer who will send you instructions on how to proceed.

What is the difference between a single-entry visa and a multiple-entry visa?

A single-entry visa allows you to enter Canada once. When you arrive at the point of entry in Canada, an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency will make sure you meet the requirements to enter Canada. If you leave Canada during your authorized stay, you must get a new visitor visa to re-enter Canada.


A multiple-entry visa allows you to enter Canada several times during the period while your visa is valid. A multiple-entry visa is valid for a maximum of 10 years or one month prior to the expiry date on the passport/re-entry visa, whichever is earlier.


If a multiple-entry visa is approved, it will allow you to enter and leave Canada repeatedly during the validity period of the visa. You must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry date on your visa. You cannot get a multiple-entry visa for a period that ends after the expiry date of your passport.

Do I need a temporary resident visa to visit Canada?

It depends on which country you are a citizen of.

Click here:

Canada Visa

for a list of countries that require a temporary resident visa to enter Canada.

Do I need a study permit to study in Canada?

Most students will require a study permit to study in Canada, however there are some exceptions.

Students who are applying to study in Canada in a program that will last more than six (6) months require a study permit. Students who are applying to study less than six (6) months typically do not require a study permit, however they may still require a temporary resident visa (TRV) to enter Canada.

How do I find out about schools and educational programs in Canada?

Our licensed immigration consultants are very familiar with the schools and programs available in Canada.

We highly recommend that you consult with our offices to determine which program is best suited for you.

How much does it cost to study in Canada?

The cost for studies in Canada may vary drastically between the different private and public schools and programs.

On average a student will need anywhere between CDN $12,000 and $20,000 per year, including basic living expenses.

Am I allowed to work while I study?


International students who are studying in Canada may apply for a work permit to work. However, during your studies your work permit will allow you to work only on school property and at a maximum of 20 hours per week.

During school breaks such as recognized holidays you may work up to 40 hours per week.

Can I stay in Canada after completing my study program?

To be authorized to stay in Canada upon the completion of your study program you must maintain proper immigration status. Proper immigration status is; visitor, student, worker or immigrant.

What is the Post-Grad Work Permit Program?

This is a special work permit program that allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

 To apply for a post-grad work permit you must have graduated from-

A public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade/technical school, university, or CEGEP (in Quebec).


A private post-secondary institution that receives at least 50% of its financing from government grants, (currently only college-level institutions can qualify).


A Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees (not likely).

Post-graduation work permits are issued for no longer than the length of the study program and are not issued for longer than three (3) years.

To apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, you must have successfully completed a program with a minimum length of eight (8) months.